The legendary AEC Routemaster arrived in 1954, and initially, 4 prototypes were built by L.T. over the next 3 years. Although very similar, they all differed from each other in many ways. The first two were Chiswick built, with Park Royal bodies and AEC mechanicals. Numbered RM1 and RM2, being painted red or green respectively for central London or London country service. RM2 was quickly repainted red. RML3 with a Weymann body and Leyland running gear, and CRL4 with ECW body in green with platform doors, was Leyland engined.